Thursday 3 September 2009

Yummy Sweet potatoes :-)


Lately my pregnancy craving has been for sweet potatoes and so I thought i'd post up my favourite way to have them.
Sweet potatoes are really healthy - they are rich in complex carbohydrates, fiber, beta carotene and lots of A, B6 and C vitamins. Which is good for me because they taste really yummy when baked :-) 

When Scott and I cook sweet potatoes we do it really simply - just scrub the potatoes, prick them with a fork and bake them in the oven for about forty minutes. After they are softer we cut them in half and stick them on the grill with a topping of caramelized onions and cheese. These are so tasty and really filling too. 

Great for when you're feeling peckish and also nice as an accompaniment with grilled chicken or fish. I think that I'll be eating LOADS of these once the baby is here and I need the extra energy for breastfeeding. 

The other plus side is that once baby starts weaning i'll be able to cook sweet potato for them aswell - just bake until extra soft, remove the skin and puree with a tiny dab of butter (you can guess who will be eating up their leftovers!)

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment